Available from Main Man Records and iTunes from Oct 7th
An album full of re interpreted songs from classic artists, from bands who dominated the charts. “Stripped of the hairspray, the spandex, the videos, and the excessive behaviour, these are really solid songs, and well worth repeating” Kim Mulligan
To be played at high volume for maximum effect…for anyone who likes Heavy Metal and Rock Music. Peel away the layers of pomp and pose, and you have stripped down new versions of some of your favourite tunes. Many of the bands are relatively unknown but can sure stand up to the Rock Gods! We have a taste of Country, Rock, and Heavy Metal beats.
For a kick off the cover is brilliant, its day glow pink, glitzy, glam with an element of Punky chic and the name 'Hair Apparent' is fabulous.
Ok I admit I’m not a huge Heavy Metal fan & I hadn’t heard some of the originals to compare them with but I did enjoy a number of the songs. Those which stood out for me were…..
- LaBooze ‘Heavy Metal Love’ …..Reminiscence of Nouvelle Vague, Human League, electro pop and girlie sounds. Conjures up sexy girls in leather & lace, with hair sprayed within an inch of its life.’ She’s not the kind of girl you’d bring home to mom’.
- Derwood – ‘Cum On feel The Noise’…starts really low key and mellow then erupts into some heavy guitar beat, horny, addictive and Derwood sings!!! Slade were never this great, the best of the bunch by far but then I am biased :-)
- Mutant Monster Beach Party – ‘Malibu Beach’...Cool, foot tapping, head shaking music for old rockers everywhere, not that dissimilar from the original Hanoi Rocks, only less Glam Rock feel, more rock based.
- K.Roth – ‘Chatterbox’…….. the New York Dolls revamped and rocking, loved it !!
- Christian Beach – ‘I Wanna Rock’…..Catchy chorus, with a country feel , banjo’s and hillbilly all the way whoo hoo
- Mars Needs Women – ‘Public Enemy #1’ …with a band name so good this has to be worth a mention, dirty rock with thunderous guitars, ‘Oh Yeah’.
- Johny Dey - ’18 & Life’…Loved the original Sebastian Bach version, but this holds it’s own. It has a bit of a country blues feel, twanging guitars, wowing & echoing in the background, great stuff Johnny!
- Killing Phantoms – ‘The Final Countdown’…Everyone knows the original song, its a heavy metal anthem track. I find it annoying and repetitive, this version is bluesy jazz, grown up & unrecognisable to the Europe version. I can listen to this without cringing. well done guys!
- Dan Maxwell & His Band – ‘ Here I Go Again’…Yea ‘here I go again on my own, going down the only road I’ve ever known’…Another rock Anthem, who doesn’t know Whitesnake’s original ? This is surprisingly modern sounding, lighter guitar. Great sounding drum tempo, light and mellow version, with a echo guitars & keyboard effects.
The Full Album listing:
- LaBooze – ‘Heavy Metal Love’
- Bob Derwood Andrews – ‘Cum on Feel the Noise’
- Mutant Monster Beach Party – ‘Malibu Beach Nightmare’
- Frankenstein 3000 – ‘She’s Tight’
- Christian Beach – ‘I Wanna Rock’
- The Wyntown Marshals – ‘Ballad Of Jayne’
- K.Roth – ‘Chatterbox’
- The Denis Dunaway Project – ‘ Big Bottom’
- Bad Biscuit – ‘Babylon’
- Pillow Theory – ‘It’s So Easy’
- FourYearbeard – ‘Another Piece Of Meat’
- AB – ‘ Shoot Em Down’
- Mars Need Women – ‘Public Enemy#1’
- Johny Dey – ’18 & Life’
- AB – ‘Little Fighter’
- Killing Phantoms – ‘The Final Countdown’
- Days before Tomorrow – ‘ After The Rain’
- Frankenstein 300 – ‘Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You. Tonight’
- Dan Maxwell & His Band – ‘ Here I Go Again’
- Early Times – ‘ Wanted Dead or Alive’
Bands on Myspace:
LaBooze – www.myspace.com/laboozetoonz
Derwood - www.myspace.com/derwoodandrews
Mutant Monster beach party - www.myspace.com/sunnydazeband
Frankenstein 300 - www.myspace.com/frankenstein3000
Christian Beach - www.myspace.com/christianbeach
The Wyntown Marshals - www.myspace.com/thewyntownmarshals
Bad Biscuit - www.myspace.com/badbiscut1
Pillow Theory - www.myspace.com/pillowtheory
Fouryearbeard - www.myspace.com/fouryearbeardband
AB - www.myspace.com/ablive1
Johny Dey – www.myspace.com/johnydey
Mars nees Women - www.myspace.com/marsneedswomen
Days before Tomorrow - www.myspace.com/daysbeforetomorrow
Dan Maxwell & His Band - www.myspace.com/danmaxwell
Early Times - www.myspace.com/earlytimesband
Thanks to Kim Mulligan (Executive producer) for the opportunity to review the Album